It is 2:00 am in the morning and I am by Ryleigh’s bedside. She cannot sleep because she is in pain. She has been vomiting all evening and they have switched back to IV morphine to help her with the pain. Not sure what is going on…they are trying to get her comfortable and then hopefully in a few hours the team will be back to figure out what is going on.
To top it off she had to have a tube put down her stomach to remove anything in her tummy so that she would not throw up anymore. Dehydration is an issue because her small intestine is still learning how to absorb necessary fluid and her body will always need to be well hydrated to compensate. Her tummy is also a bit distended and the nurse has told the surgeon on call about that. Ryleigh has had an NG tube before and hated it but was quick to say yes to this one because she was so nauseous. She continues to astound me by her bravery and courage. No matter what comes her way she seems to manage to make it through with dignity and the resolve to carry on.
I am at the end of the rope and holding on tightly. We spent most of Thursday planning and talking about what we were going to do as our little unit of three was going to be together again. It is so unfair as I don’t imagine Ryleigh will be going home tomorrow until things are figured out. This is night two of the both of us not getting much sleep. Thank goodness for Chloe who gets some sleep and then comes here ready to help and take care.
I can only guess what is wrong – it could be a blockage, tear, infection….I refuse to borrow trouble and trust that this too will be taken care of by the medical professionals and I will continue to be the mom…I will keep posting when I can to inform. I hope this is just a little bump along the way that has a quick and easy solution.